Young people excluded by early school leaving and unemployment
The Foundation P&V combats the exclusion of young people. Numerous researchers in Belgium and abroad have concluded that the lack of skills and employment qualifications are significant sources of exclusion and a cause of future social marginalisation. Early school leaving and a lack of qualifications generally result in precarious work situations and long-term unemployment, as well as ever longer transitional periods between education and employment. This is a major social problem in Europe and Belgium, particularly in certain regions and major cities and among some minority groups.
Accordingly, the Foundation P&V has launched a far-reaching multi-annual Research/Action programme, to be implemented from 2012 to 2014 and covering various stages:
- The sharing of scientific knowledge and ideas on the causes of and possible solutions for the lack of suitable skills, unemployment among unqualified young people and, in particular, long-term youth unemployment.
- An increase in this knowledge based on expert opinions and experience, plus the identification of policies and projects able to contribute effectively to resolving the identified problems.
- The promotion of these policies and sharing of the initiatives and projects thus determined.
- Compile the most recent and relevant knowledge on the subject.
- Identify and analyse the causes and processes of youth exclusion, define the extent of the problem and establish hypotheses.
- Propose specific projects and solutions to be implemented and provide these with support.
- Encourage the social integration of the young via suitable qualifications and employment.
Phase I – Research (2012-2013)
Foundation P&V Prize for research on integration of young people excluded by early school leaving and unemployment
- Call for scientific contributions (closes 30 June 2012)
- Selection by a jury of the 9 best articles (each shall be published and awarded a EUR 1,500 prize)
Publication of winning articles in
- De Groof, Saskia & Elchardus, Mark (Eds.) (2013). Early school leaving & youth unemployment. Tielt & Amsterdam: LannooCampus & Amsterdam University Press
Preparatory working groups
- Preparatory working groups with Belgian experts to prepare the European conference, the call for projects and the policy recommendations
- Presentation work of 9 laureates
- Confrontation with field experts, practitioners, politicians…
- Preliminary conclusions preparatory working groups
- Identification of solutions and good practices
- Policy questions and recommendations
Phase II – Call for Projects (2013)
- Develop and launch a call for projects
- Select project(s) to support
Phase III – Action (2014)
- Project implementation
- Project monitoring and evaluation
- International promotion and diffusion